Platform Will Seamlessly Integrate Wide Array of Direct-to-Consumer Marketing Tools and Business Solutions Through New API Within Existing Orchard Client Workstation
New York, August 4, 2009, Today, The Orchard (NASDAQ: ORCD) announced that it is launching a groundbreaking platform, using an API (Application Programming Interface), to provide clients access to third party business solutions from a marketplace within The Orchard’s proprietary client Workstation. For the launch, The Orchard has tapped many of the entertainment industry’s leading marketing, sales, and analytics application companies, including ArtistData, Band Metrics, TheBizmo, BMAT, FanBridge, Mediaguide, Mobile Roadie, New Reach Technologies, Peekok, Topspin, Trendrr, and uPlaya.
These launch partners will offer turn-key products geared to serve the needs of Orchard’s global client base, which represents 15% of all music available digitally. Within the Workstation’s marketplace, clients will be able to easily choose from this broad array of tools, each the best in its class. Over time, as the market continues to proliferate with innovative applications and services, Orchard will include additional qualified partners and continue to build out and manage the largest and most robust platform of third-party developers in the industry.
At launch, the applications, all selected with client needs in mind, will include various forms of sales and analytic tools, marketing vehicles, email and mobile services, widget creation, iPhone App creation, and data tracking. Orchard clients will receive a discounted rate for the services they choose, enabling these clients yet one more way of reducing their operating costs through their Orchard affiliation, without sacrificing sophistication or reach. Payment for use of the third party apps is secured through The Orchard and is reflected in client billing.
When clients opt in to a third party tool, the application will draw information (e.g. metadata, audio and video files, art work) from The Orchard’s secure interface to power customized marketing tools. To close the loop, clients can choose a data solution, which uses The Orchard’s metadata, to track their online exposure.
The following companies are confirmed as Orchard API launch partners:
• ArtistData automates the updating of information to artist websites, social network profiles, concert databases, Twitter feeds and more;
• Band Metrics provides comprehensive quantitative and qualitative analytics for the music industry with in-depth geographical reporting on social, radio, fan trends and more;
• TheBizmo is a 360 degree e-commerce direct-to-consumer widget that can sell digital music, merchandise, gig tickets and more from any website, blog or social networking page;
• BMAT specializes in data analytics across terrestrial broadcast and digital streams worldwide;
• FanBridge is the leading provider of email and mobile fan list management solutions
• Mediaguide monitors music on college, non-commercial, commercial radio stations and offers information on internet radio stations in the US, which are tracked by its partner, Radiowave;
• Mobile Roadie launched an iPhone App creation tool with The Orchard in February, and will now integrate into the Orchard’s marketplace for an improved label experience;
• New Reach Technologies provides ‘smart’ widgets that increase signup and commerce conversion, an integrated social media and web tracking dashboard and a multi channel direct to consumer communication platform;
• Peekok is a simple to use, fully customizable, direct-to-fan retail and social marketing platform, including an array of analytical data and reporting services;s;
• Topspin is a technology platform for direct-to-fan marketing, management and distribution;
• Trendrr provides automated data tracking and visual reporting for consumption, engagement and buzz levels from over 40 of the Web’s most popular social and e-commerce destinations;
• uPlaya ranks songs with patented Hit Song Science(tm) platform and promotes music globally through Music Universe(tm) marketing applications.
Dan Pifer, Executive Vice President of Technology for The Orchard, commented, “Rather than predict successful models and invest capital in developing tools to support them, we have instead chosen to create a scalable platform where our clients can select their preferred state-of-the-art marketing and sales solutions.” Pifer added, “Technology is rapidly shifting. We are pleased to be in a unique position where by utilizing our in house state-of-the-art content delivery system, V.E.C.T.O.R., we are able to connect independent artists and labels with ‘best in class’ developers, therefore fostering an ecosystem of cutting edge tools and services.”
Additional technology partners will be announced in coming months. Much like Facebook Apps, the iPhone App Store, and Amazon’s Marketplace, there is no limit to the number of partners able to participate. Every potential partner is carefully evaluated by The Orchard’s marketing, technology and client services teams, ensuring clients receive the best business solutions available today.
Josh Rosenfeld, President of prominent Orchard client label Barsuk Records, noted “The Orchard has always offered us tremendous staffing and technology support, consistently providing easy ways to make our business more efficient and allowing us to focus on helping our bands rather than on researching and administering lots of speculative direct vendor and sales relationships.” Rosenfeld continued, “When our veteran head of online promotion left the music business 18 months ago, we were able to move forward without filling the high-salary vacancy and without any reduction in service to our bands, based solely on The Orchard’s staff and technology solutions. This new initiative continues the trends that we’ve seen during our entire time in business with The Orchard.”
About The Orchard(R)
The Orchard (NASDAQ: ORCD) is a full service business partner for entertainment companies, music labels, recording artists and songwriters, film studios, and producers. Founded in 1997, the company drives sales across its retail network of more than 600 digital storefronts and mobile carriers in 59 countries. Headquartered in New York and London, with operations in 27 markets around the world, The Orchard offers a comprehensive suite of services focused on customized marketing and promotions, social media, sales development, and technology. An industry pioneer and continued innovator in digital media services, The Orchard fosters creativity and independence. For further information please visit www.theorchard.com
Forward Looking Statements
This release may contain certain forward-looking statements regarding The Orchard’s expectations regarding future events and operating performance within the meaning of Federal Securities laws that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties and involve factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or suggested. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include, but are not limited to, the ability of The Orchard to distribute certain products, videos and artist recordings and provide certain marketing and other services. Undue reliance should not be placed on such forward-looking statements as they speak only as of the date hereof, and The Orchard undertakes no obligation to update these statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances except as may be required by law. Additional factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or suggested in any forward-looking statements are contained in The Orchard’s most recent periodic reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q that are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Source: The Orchard