Using contests to simultaneously engage with fans and promote an upcoming release is not a new concept. But when executed well, it can be incredibly effective. Just ask Pop Punk band State Champs. In anticipation of The Acoustic Things, the all-acoustic followup to their full-length debut The Finer Things, they’re running a contest with their label Pure Noise Records to pick the best fan cover of their song “Leave You In The Dark.”
To enter the contest, fans must record a video of themselves performing an acoustic version of the song, upload it to YouTube, and post the video to Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook with the hashtag #theacousticthings. The band will pick their favorites to be featured on Pure Noise’s YouTube channel and all winners will receive a vinyl LP/CD of The Acoustic Things, out October 7th.
This contest is great in a number of ways:
- It turns the spotlight on the fans and shows appreciation for their ongoing support
- It utilizes multiple social media platforms to maximize reach
- The fan-sourced content will see additional life on the Pure Noise channel playlist
- Fan videos include a link back to the original, which will drive traffic back to the band’s video
- It’s incredibly cost effective
Here’s the band’s original version:
And here’s one of the many fan covers:
When planning for your next release, find creative ways to use YouTube and other platforms to engage with your fans and spread the word about your music. And check out some of our other great tips like how to make GIFs from YouTube videos!