As a big priority for Relapse Records, our goal with Red Fang’s third album, Whales and Leeches, was to create an engaging digital marketing campaign that exposed the band’s music to new fans while giving their existing fan base the high quality interactions they were used to.
Given the band’s charismatic and fun nature, optimizing Red Fang’s social media was key. We provided social post guidance that maximized our other marketing endeavors and organized a Reddit AMA to get fans excited and engaged about the album. We also designed multiple iterations of a Red Fang splash page with an embedded YouTube video, pre-order information for multiple retailers, tour dates and our Red Fang game link.
Speaking of, we highlighted the band’s penchant for fun, beer-chugging antics with an interactive online game, created by developers Eyes & Ears. The game challenged fans to digitally chug beers to the tune of Red Fang’s music, progressively unlocking new tracks from Whales and Leeches. We included multiple links to pre-order the album in various formats, and required fans to connect their Twitter accounts to join the Leaderboard, further leveraging the social aspect. The highest scorer won a Red Fang Prize pack.
Using the loyalty platform Tunespeak, we ran a ticket/prize pack giveaway for both legs of Red Fang’s North American tour from October through December. The contest encouraged fans to listen to, watch and share content for points to win the prize for each city. We also set up a SoundCloud guitar solo contest for fans to upload their original solos for the song “Blood Like Cream” to a group created for the contest. We received social support from SoundCloud on their blog, Facebook and Twitter, and the winner took home a gigantic prize pack including a custom guitar pedal from guitarist David Sullivan.
On the video side, we coordinated the filming of three videos at YouTube’s Next Labs space: an interview for Metal Injection, whose channel is part of our Multi-Channel Network (MCN), a track-by-track album commentary for Relapse’s YouTube channel, as well as a play-through video which premiered on Gear Gods. Additionally, we secured VEVO playlisting and coordinated a Rolling Stone exclusive premiere for the “Blood Like Cream” video.
Last, we ran an extensive and successful ad campaign including Facebook, Adwords, pre-roll and banner ads. We built a remarketing group through the splash page to better target our ads, and placements included Rolling Stone, AV Club, TimeOut, Loudwire and more.
- Facebook Page Likes increased by 30.2% and Twitter followers increased by 18.8%
- Beer-chugging interactive game attracted 16,295 unique visitors and 41,802 pageviews in one month, with an average visit duration of 2:07 minutes (NB: typical average page visit < 1 minute)
- The Tunespeak giveaway generated 41.9% share-to-action participation, with 56% of full songs played and 69% of full videos viewed
- 75 entrants submitted their original recordings for the SoundCloud guitar solo contest, which is impressive given the specific and highly-involved task at hand
- Whales and Leeches debuted at #67 on the Billboard Top 200, #12 Independent Albums, #9 Hard Rock Albums and #21 Tastemaker Albums